Skip to main content

Spiral Review In All Its Glory (Decimal of the Day)

   The school district I am in has cumulative tests covering everything taught each six weeks.  The twist is, these tests are made by administrators and not teachers.  This really isn't a problem to me.  It is a learning tool for me and a teachable moment for my students on the importance of all material covered in class. 
     We as teachers can really get bogged down in the variables of a test like this.  By that I mean, oh the test question was worded funny or well they were only given one chance to show mastery on this, my students are _______ fill in the blanks, thoughts, and reasoning.  The one thing my school district did was have us put our scores up standard by standard right next to every other teacher in the district who had to teach the same thing we did.  My oh my did I fall short!  I say I fell short even though I had great reasoning as to why my scores looked the way they did... but upon further reflection I decided to take responsibility for what I was seeing.  My reasoning?  Because EVERY teacher has that one class, that one student, that one group, etc. who is a apathetic to learning, behavior problems, home problems, and the list goes on and on.  We all have that, so where did I fall short so that I wasn't in line with the other teachers in most of my standards?  I need to preface this by saying that I was on par with most of the teachers, but several teachers had stand-out moments where their scores were much higher than the rest.  What did they do?  I wanted to know!  How did that teacher TEACH to this level of understanding?  The answer was one I've heard in a different phrasing over the years I've spent as a teacher... my favorite phrase... "DRILL AND KILL". 
     What does drill and kill mean to you?  To me it means repetition, over and over, spiraling and reviewing more even after you've moved on.  The techniques these teachers used inspired me to focus on where we fell short on specified standards, and incorporate a new standard within my classes so we could spiral and "drill and kill".  The results after only 1 week are identifiable for anyone who steps in my classroom including the students.  What I learned most from the process were the misconceptions my students had about concepts that I looked at as cut and dry.  As an example, while reviewing the "Decimal of the Day", one part of the expanded notation should have been written as (2 x 10) because the 2 was in the tens place value in the number.  My student asked why couldn't he just put (20 x 1) because that is the same answer as (2 x 10).  How would you answer this question?  I went back to the basics of place value.  I asked him how he could write 20 in the one's place in standard form?  It is through this questioning and guiding process that he made the connection of why expanded notation is done the way it is.
     One of the things I learned about this test was that my students lacked skills important to their success in mathematics; most importantly academic vocabulary and place value understanding.  So, one of the things I did was develop a Decimal of The Day to do in conjunction with our daily warm-up.  The concept is that I give them a new decimal number each day.  I may give it to them in standard form, word form, or expanded notation, but they then have to give it to me in all the other forms, plus rounding.  In addition, when I start the review to see how we did, students have to say the number in proper form.  Students fall in the habit of saying numbers like 1.2 as one point two instead of one and two tenths.  Saying the number properly in standard form not only helps them with writing the number in word form, but it reinforces place value concepts and academic vocabulary.  All these pieces are needed so a student can round to the proper place value, write expanded notation properly, and write a number in standard form if it is given in a specific way. 

I made this form:


     I was able to fit two per page, and I copy the pages front and back.  This gives me 4 days of practice, and the students can turn in the page each week so I can monitor their progress.  Four days a week on the board I give students a D.O.D.  My why, is that only 29% of my students could recognize a number properly written in expanded notation on their test.  My goal is that when they are retested, that number will grow to mastery.
     I of course know that there are thousands of ways to review.  This is just one little piece.  I have a multi-standard page that I use for my warm-ups.  I spiral review specific standards in all possible forms it could end up on a test using that form weekly.  I choose to target specific areas my students fall short in using forms like the Decimal of the Day.  What method do you use in your classroom?  Do you find yourself sitting next to those teachers with excuses too?  Are you one like I have been?  What did you do to change your mind set?  Please chime in! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration and a Smart Pen

I finally figured out how to work my little interactive white board tablet in my room.  I used it on Friday and my kids loved it.  I like it to, and it was really my inspiration behind getting my Echo smart pen.  When trying to figure out how to use my interactive white board tablet (we will call it IWBT) I thought well I'll just google it and go from there.  Turns out... it isn't made anymore.  Never the less, I was able to figure out what I was doing, and it is great for my classroom.   It operates a lot like a Think Pad.  At any rate, I've seen several blog post referring to smart pens and LiveScribe on several blogs I subscribe to and I thought I would check it out.  I found an Echo pen in Best Buy and fell in love.  I was on a spending splurge today and decided this was going to go one of two ways.  I either was going to get an iPad, or a Smart Pen.  Well... I got the Smart Pen. So I've been sitting at home and right now the new drivers are being done on my new p

A disappointment stumbling block.... (sigh)

Well I must admit I thought we were rocking along in math class, and then I get to test day.  I realize two things: 1)  The kids don't know the material like I thought they did. 2) Since so many of them don't get it, I know the problem is me. So today I am spending time trying to find a million ways to teach my kids about positive and negative integers and about greatest common factor and least common multiple (this for my 6th graders) so that we can retest on Wednesday.  I feel bad for the kids that completely aced my test, but I'm more worried about the ones that failed dramatically.  20%, 30%, and yes I even had a 0%. It is official.  Come Monday I will be off track on the lesson plan the teacher has left for me to teach.  It is also official that my teacher will be coming back November 16th, and I need to ensure when she comes back in it was like she never left.  There is a lot of pressure for a long term substitute.  It is much more different than if it was you

STEM Professional Development

Let me be honest.  I live for the summer.  I always knew teaching would be the perfect job for me because when I wasn't a teacher and spring hit... oh it was so hard to sit still in an office.  The last job I held before I taught was perfect for that!  I was able to turn off my fluorescent lights and open the blinds and let the natural light come in, and I would make excuses to visit clients so I could get out of my cubby and go!  Now, I just wait for that last school bell to ring and give my goodbyes for the year to my students and plan on a summer of organization, exercise, dieting, travel, crafting, sleeping in, and a new me.  Oh yeah, and I always intend to blog so much more. Reality is, I do a little bit of all of those things, and sometimes I even feel I've accomplished something, but partway into the summer...I get bored. There I said it!  The nerd in me gets bored and I start researching cool technology and thinking about all the new things I'm going to use in my