Skip to main content

Incorporating Literacy Into Math...and what about Fortnite?

     The name of the game is engagement, but let us all be honest with each other; if you aren't targeted about your engagement, then it is just fluff.  I think I spend about 1/2 of my waking hours thinking of ways I could incorporate cross-curricular and real-world items into my lesson plans.  Shouldn't we all be though?  Well... maybe not spend 1/2 your waking hours thinking about it, but definitely incorporating cross-curricular and real-world items into your classroom.  I always tell my parents life is not a worksheet, but let's be honest... sometimes you ARE stuck with using them!  I like to break away as much as possible!  Sometimes though, those angelic (cough) students of mine could care less.  We know they don't!  They don't care how much of our own money we spent, how long we spent planning something just for them, the only thing they care about is whether it is fun, and not "boring". 

      I would like to invite some chat and thought into this process.  I'm reaching out to all of you!  Yes, you!  I don't care about your subject, your grade level, but I would love to collaborate and pick your brain. 

Topic 1:   Literacy in Math


     I'm currently teaching 5th grade math.  I have found that as crazy as it sounds, these kiddos still love to be read to.  Especially if you can read with some serious inflection in your voice.  Can you speak in different voices?  Even better!  I always pick something that would be about a 10 minute read, and I like to buy the books digitally so that I can project them on the board.  Illustrations are a must because let's face it... they are looking!  There are plenty of books that someone on YouTube is reading (which is Free for you to watch), but if I can buy a digital copy instead, I'm all over it!  This is my first project this year: 


I then gave students parameters such as "only recyclable materials, must provide a descriptive written piece about the living room, 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, and the kitchen.  Must provide measurements (length, width, height, perimeter, area, how does this relate to real world sizes?  How did you figure that out?...)  and then of course they get to present their awesomeness to me!  Right now, my classroom looks like a war zone of cardboard, plastic bottles, and glue guns.  However, my students are engaged, thinking, creating, building, designing, writing, researching, imagining, and yep there is even some math thrown in.

What are your best projects?  Why was it the best? 


Topic 2:  Fortnite



     Okay, unless you are out of touch with your students (and pretty much social media) then you've heard about the game Fortnite.  I will admit that I have downloaded it in my own home to play just so I could see what in the world my students are ALWAYS talking about.  And I mean ALWAYS!  Remember back in the day when it was Minecraft?  Why can't it still be Minecraft!  So many mathy things, and social studies things, and literacy things... anyway, I digress.  The new rage is Fortnite.  I will 100% admit that I use it as a behavior tool with my students (in partnership with their parents of course).  Work hard in class?  Get Fortnite at home. 

                                                Photo Credit:  www.epicgames.com

     What if though, we could bring this in the classroom?  I know what some of you are already thinking, the violence in the game.  They kill stuff... BUT, so far I've seen no blood, no body parts flying, and I'm going to be honest... they play anyway.  I saw on Pinterest where a teacher is using the lingo in Fortnite to create a culture in her classroom of behavior standards and rules.  How cool is that!  My husband said educators should get together and talk with Fortnite creators to make an educational version.  (Hey Fortnite creator... if you happen to read this sad little blog...how cool would that be!)  He said how cool would it be that students would have to solve a series of problems to unlock the password of the day to play with their classmates at night when they got home?  How cool indeed!

What are your thoughts on Fortnite?  Does it have educational possibilities?  Do you already use it?  If so, please share how!


     I'm on a quest to up my game.  I am reading "teacher books" such as Tony Wagner's Creating Innovators, and Ron Clark's The Essential 55.   My goal is to not just be the exhausted teacher, but the exhausted teacher that makes an impact on each of her students.  Please chime in and tell me how you are upping your game. 
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration and a Smart Pen

I finally figured out how to work my little interactive white board tablet in my room.  I used it on Friday and my kids loved it.  I like it to, and it was really my inspiration behind getting my Echo smart pen.  When trying to figure out how to use my interactive white board tablet (we will call it IWBT) I thought well I'll just google it and go from there.  Turns out... it isn't made anymore.  Never the less, I was able to figure out what I was doing, and it is great for my classroom.   It operates a lot like a Think Pad.  At any rate, I've seen several blog post referring to smart pens and LiveScribe on several blogs I subscribe to and I thought I would check it out.  I found an Echo pen in Best Buy and fell in love.  I was on a spending splurge today and decided this was going to go one of two ways.  I either was going to get an iPad, or a Smart Pen.  Well... I got the Smart Pen. So I've been sitting at home and right now the new drivers are being done on my new p

A disappointment stumbling block.... (sigh)

Well I must admit I thought we were rocking along in math class, and then I get to test day.  I realize two things: 1)  The kids don't know the material like I thought they did. 2) Since so many of them don't get it, I know the problem is me. So today I am spending time trying to find a million ways to teach my kids about positive and negative integers and about greatest common factor and least common multiple (this for my 6th graders) so that we can retest on Wednesday.  I feel bad for the kids that completely aced my test, but I'm more worried about the ones that failed dramatically.  20%, 30%, and yes I even had a 0%. It is official.  Come Monday I will be off track on the lesson plan the teacher has left for me to teach.  It is also official that my teacher will be coming back November 16th, and I need to ensure when she comes back in it was like she never left.  There is a lot of pressure for a long term substitute.  It is much more different than if it was you

STEM Professional Development

Let me be honest.  I live for the summer.  I always knew teaching would be the perfect job for me because when I wasn't a teacher and spring hit... oh it was so hard to sit still in an office.  The last job I held before I taught was perfect for that!  I was able to turn off my fluorescent lights and open the blinds and let the natural light come in, and I would make excuses to visit clients so I could get out of my cubby and go!  Now, I just wait for that last school bell to ring and give my goodbyes for the year to my students and plan on a summer of organization, exercise, dieting, travel, crafting, sleeping in, and a new me.  Oh yeah, and I always intend to blog so much more. Reality is, I do a little bit of all of those things, and sometimes I even feel I've accomplished something, but partway into the summer...I get bored. There I said it!  The nerd in me gets bored and I start researching cool technology and thinking about all the new things I'm going to use in my