Skip to main content

Bloxels with Fractions

  By now all of you savvy educators are well aware of what Bloxels are, and I am super proud to be a Bloxels Ambassador.  In case you aren't familiar with Bloxels and how they can impact your classroom, let me introduce you to my favorite curriculum collaborator!  





Yes!  You are reading the logo right... a program that lets you build your own video games.  This educator values the fact that it is hands on and technology!  Most of the graphics on my page today come from the Bloxels webpage, but some are my own.  Creations by imagination.  

If you are not familiar with Bloxels or how it works I recommend visiting their website HERE.    

The amazing Bloxels website contains a huge amount of information such as the Bloxels blog, how it works, where to buy it, and even educator lesson plans.  Let me tell you how my Bloxels journey began:

One day I stumbled into a Barnes and Noble with my family and there was a Maker Faire going on.  I couldn't believe my luck!  If you've never been to a Maker Faire you are missing out.  There are tons of cool hands on things to do and create and of course technology to play with.  Barnes and Noble was showcasing 3d printers, pens, robots, coding, and Bloxels.  I fell in love and was so excited to play with it my sweet husband bought it for me and I was hooked.  Let me start by saying I had in the back of my teacher's brain a thought for how I could use it in the classroom, but the giddy girl in me was excited about my new toy!!

I did not waste anytime playing on Bloxels and working at creating my own video game.  I grew up in the land of the original Mario Brothers and this was right up my alley.  I couldn't wait to show it off to my students.  

In the beginning I used Bloxels as a reward tool for students who I knew were having behavioral issues.  I wanted to use something that they could exercise their imaginations with and work with their critical thinking skills on.  I definitely needed it to be not only educational, but engaging.  My dreams soon outgrew my one single Bloxels set and I began considering what I could do with this educational tool if I had more than one.  

Soon I became a Bloxels Ambassador because I wanted to be involved in this wonderful product in any way I could.  Not long afterwards, the great folks over at Bloxels had a contest for educators willing to submit their lesson plans that involved the use of Bloxels and I couldn't resist.  Today I'm going to share that with you, and it goes without saying that I can't wait until we start working on fractions in my classroom this year!



Bloxels has a character named "Ugly Sweater Kitty".  It is colorful, it is cute, and it is the first thing that I built.  When I teach fractions I want to engage my students in things they understand to make fractions come alive.  Fractions are a very abstract concept for the age group that I teach, especially when uncommon denominators are considered.  

Here is how the lesson works:

I have students build "Ugly Sweater Kitty" and give me the color fractional representations.  For example, the Kitty above has 2/73 yellow blocks, 31/73 blue blocks, 16/73 pink blocks, 15/73 purple blocks, and 9/73 white blocks.  There are other versions of the Kitty that give a different denominator of course, but for the example this will work.  

When students are comfortable with how to build the kitty and understand what I mean by fractional representations we make observations related to the fractions and pictures they have built.  For instance could I simplify any of my picture?  Obviously in the one above I can't because 73 is a prime number, but how about the sweater?  It took 30 blocks to make the sweater so that would mean 15/30 are pink on the sweater and 15/30 are purple on the sweater?  Can this be simplified?  When the fraction is simplified to 1/2, how do the fractions differ?  How are they the same?  The key is getting your students to think critically about what they see and how denominators differ but the picture doesn't. 

 * original character design

Next I issue a challenge to my students.  Build their own character.  They will need to build a character on their own using at least 4 different colored blocks.  This character has to be something other than what can be found in the Bloxels brochures.  They need to write the fractions that represent their pictures the same way we did Ugly Sweater Kitty.  Can their fractions be simplified?  Does that mean their character changed?  

This activity is a precursor to building a game.  They are starting with their characters in this exercise.  My overarching goal is to get them thinking about fractions.  They are looking at fraction equivalency and the relationships between numerators and denominators.  I find this is a critical thinking concept connecting exercise, and I think it will be a great way to start a fraction unit.  

Of course, incorporating building a game in the fractions unit will be next!  Tell me what you think about this introductory activity!

* original character design

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration and a Smart Pen

I finally figured out how to work my little interactive white board tablet in my room.  I used it on Friday and my kids loved it.  I like it to, and it was really my inspiration behind getting my Echo smart pen.  When trying to figure out how to use my interactive white board tablet (we will call it IWBT) I thought well I'll just google it and go from there.  Turns out... it isn't made anymore.  Never the less, I was able to figure out what I was doing, and it is great for my classroom.   It operates a lot like a Think Pad.  At any rate, I've seen several blog post referring to smart pens and LiveScribe on several blogs I subscribe to and I thought I would check it out.  I found an Echo pen in Best Buy and fell in love.  I was on a spending splurge today and decided this was going to go one of two ways.  I either was going to get an iPad, or a Smart Pen.  Well... I got the Smart Pen. So I've been sitting at home and right now the new drivers are being done on my new p

A disappointment stumbling block.... (sigh)

Well I must admit I thought we were rocking along in math class, and then I get to test day.  I realize two things: 1)  The kids don't know the material like I thought they did. 2) Since so many of them don't get it, I know the problem is me. So today I am spending time trying to find a million ways to teach my kids about positive and negative integers and about greatest common factor and least common multiple (this for my 6th graders) so that we can retest on Wednesday.  I feel bad for the kids that completely aced my test, but I'm more worried about the ones that failed dramatically.  20%, 30%, and yes I even had a 0%. It is official.  Come Monday I will be off track on the lesson plan the teacher has left for me to teach.  It is also official that my teacher will be coming back November 16th, and I need to ensure when she comes back in it was like she never left.  There is a lot of pressure for a long term substitute.  It is much more different than if it was you

STEM Professional Development

Let me be honest.  I live for the summer.  I always knew teaching would be the perfect job for me because when I wasn't a teacher and spring hit... oh it was so hard to sit still in an office.  The last job I held before I taught was perfect for that!  I was able to turn off my fluorescent lights and open the blinds and let the natural light come in, and I would make excuses to visit clients so I could get out of my cubby and go!  Now, I just wait for that last school bell to ring and give my goodbyes for the year to my students and plan on a summer of organization, exercise, dieting, travel, crafting, sleeping in, and a new me.  Oh yeah, and I always intend to blog so much more. Reality is, I do a little bit of all of those things, and sometimes I even feel I've accomplished something, but partway into the summer...I get bored. There I said it!  The nerd in me gets bored and I start researching cool technology and thinking about all the new things I'm going to use in my