Skip to main content

A Departure from the Usual

With the recent tragedy in Connecticut affecting our nation, as a teacher it raised a lot of questions for me about my classroom safety.   Of course the school has procedures in place for a campus emergency, but how safe are we really?  A more passive educator stated at lunch the day the tragedy occurred that maybe now the government would re-look at gun issues.  I stated yes, wouldn't it be nice if we were armed for a change.  He actually looked stunned.  I nicely explained to him that I could protect myself just about anywhere I go, until I come on a school campus, and then I'm defenseless.  What if select teachers were trained for such an emergency situation?  It need not be EVERY teacher, and it need not be anything other teachers know about.  Much like what was done in churches when gunmen were storming in and shooting parishioners, much like that plain closed air marshal on a plane protecting you when you fly.   Maybe this is the wrong line of thinking, but would this help to protect more innocent children from dying?  Obviously I'm an advocate for gun rights.

Since I know that guns are not allowed in schools, I began looking at my classroom safety next.  I can say without a doubt the first thing I did was lock my door so that anyone from the outside couldn't just walk in.   We are far away from Connecticut, but it really makes you think, what if.  I know when I did make it home that day I was hugging my own kids, and before I made it home that day my colleagues and I discussed what we could do to make our kids in our classrooms safer.  Some of the teachers blessed with huge supply closets immediately started cleaning them out after school so they could hold as many students as possible.  I don't have this luxury however.  I am on a ground floor, with a bank of windows, and my classroom door is half a window.   I'm also one of the first room accessible when you walk into the school building.  I don't have a huge bookshelf near my door to block anyone's way in. 

The more I sat and thought, the more I prayed.  I know that I cannot live on what-if's.  I know that following procedures on campus is going to be the first step in protecting my students.  I know the second step is going to be hiding them as best as possible, and possibly giving them a good escape route.  I pray that a tragedy like this never occurs in another school anywhere.  That life is held sacred, and that our government allows God back into our schools.  I'm blessed to be at a school where my students can pray before class and that we can talk about God, but many children in our country don't have that opportunity.  I find solace in prayer.  I find solace in God.  I hope that all of the communities in our nation come together to support this community who has lost so many lives in such a senseless tragedy. 

Has this tragedy changed how you look at classroom safety?  What are your thoughts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspiration and a Smart Pen

I finally figured out how to work my little interactive white board tablet in my room.  I used it on Friday and my kids loved it.  I like it to, and it was really my inspiration behind getting my Echo smart pen.  When trying to figure out how to use my interactive white board tablet (we will call it IWBT) I thought well I'll just google it and go from there.  Turns out... it isn't made anymore.  Never the less, I was able to figure out what I was doing, and it is great for my classroom.   It operates a lot like a Think Pad.  At any rate, I've seen several blog post referring to smart pens and LiveScribe on several blogs I subscribe to and I thought I would check it out.  I found an Echo pen in Best Buy and fell in love.  I was on a spending splurge today and decided this was going to go one of two ways.  I either was going to get an iPad, or a Smart Pen.  Well... I got the Smart Pen. So I've been sitting at home and right now the new drivers are being done on my new p

A disappointment stumbling block.... (sigh)

Well I must admit I thought we were rocking along in math class, and then I get to test day.  I realize two things: 1)  The kids don't know the material like I thought they did. 2) Since so many of them don't get it, I know the problem is me. So today I am spending time trying to find a million ways to teach my kids about positive and negative integers and about greatest common factor and least common multiple (this for my 6th graders) so that we can retest on Wednesday.  I feel bad for the kids that completely aced my test, but I'm more worried about the ones that failed dramatically.  20%, 30%, and yes I even had a 0%. It is official.  Come Monday I will be off track on the lesson plan the teacher has left for me to teach.  It is also official that my teacher will be coming back November 16th, and I need to ensure when she comes back in it was like she never left.  There is a lot of pressure for a long term substitute.  It is much more different than if it was you

STEM Professional Development

Let me be honest.  I live for the summer.  I always knew teaching would be the perfect job for me because when I wasn't a teacher and spring hit... oh it was so hard to sit still in an office.  The last job I held before I taught was perfect for that!  I was able to turn off my fluorescent lights and open the blinds and let the natural light come in, and I would make excuses to visit clients so I could get out of my cubby and go!  Now, I just wait for that last school bell to ring and give my goodbyes for the year to my students and plan on a summer of organization, exercise, dieting, travel, crafting, sleeping in, and a new me.  Oh yeah, and I always intend to blog so much more. Reality is, I do a little bit of all of those things, and sometimes I even feel I've accomplished something, but partway into the summer...I get bored. There I said it!  The nerd in me gets bored and I start researching cool technology and thinking about all the new things I'm going to use in my